Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mt Laguna to Highway 74 (Mile 43 to Mile 151)

I did the PCT fro Mt Laguna to Cuyamaca with Bill and his grandson as a dayhike in February of 2004. 24 miles- all downhill! I didn't have a camera at the time and didn't have one until my hike NOBO from Highway 74.
When I hiked from Cuyamaca in April of 2004, I did this solo. I arranged a ride from Barrel Spring where I parked my truck back to where I left The Trail at Cuyamaca. My plan was to camp on the first ridge of the San Felipes and do the San Felipes the next day. But I picked the first heat wave of the season and by the time I made it down to The Borrego desert floor and to Scissors, I was wiped out. I looked up the switchbacks into the San Felipes and my legs said "No way Jose"... I got a ride back to Barrel Spring by a couple of off-roaders and camped there. the next day I did the Warner Springs to Barrel Spring 8 miles SOBO with Cpt. Bivy. I returned with my son to Warner and hiked to Canada Verde and back.
My next hike was from Warner Springs to Highway 74, 40 miles in two days with my friend Erik Yakel. He's a stronger hiker than I and he started his day from the north junction of the PCT and Highway 79, while I started from the south junction at the Fire Station, so he was ahead of me the entire day. I was solo until I met up with Erik at Combs Peak. We hiked further and camped at the north foot of Combs, The next day, Erik's leg was bothering him, and since he lives in Chihuahua Valley, he turned back and walked home while I headed NOBO toward the 74 where my truck was parked.
Since this portion of the trail is so close to where I live, I'm sure I'll be back to add photos here.

No comments: